Pages

Friday 11 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey, Week 3, Day 5

DAY 5: Here to Stay


Activity 1: Persistent Pollution [4 points]
In 2016, the World Health Organisation announced that Timaru, a small town in the South Island of New Zealand, had the highest recorded levels of air pollution in New Zealand. Some of this pollution was caused by natural events (eg. fires) but most of it was produced (made) by humans.
Watch this short video on air pollution. It will tell you more about natural and human causes of pollution.

On your blog, share three new things that you learned about air pollution from this video.
1. I did not know that air pollution could come from wildfires and volcanoes.
2. I did not know that air pollution could cause climate change.
3.I had no idea that smog was a thing.

Activity 2: Changing Climates [4 points]

Over the past decade, the climate in New Zealand (and around the world) has been changing. In fact, the climate has been getting warmer and warmer. While many of us like warm weather, climate change is not good news. Higher temperatures can cause glaciers to melt (leading to flooding) and increase the amount of rain that falls.
Here in New Zealand, we have noticed the change. In fact, we sometimes have torrential (huge) rain storms causing flooding, landslides and road closures. When it starts to rain really hard, Aronui and I usually hide out in our lounge and play games like Yahtzee, Monopoly and Uno. If it rains all day, we will also spend some time reading, watching movies and baking.
What about you? What do you like to do on a rainy day?  
On your blog, tell us about five things that you like to do when it is too rainy to go outside..

1. Go on my Chromebook.
2. Play sims.
3. Play with something I got for my bday or xmas.
4. Eat food.
5. TIK TOK ( it is a app on my phone)

Activity 3: Let It Rain [10 points]
Over the past few decades, we have seen an increase in the amount of rain that falls here in New Zealand. We are lucky, however, that most of the rain that falls is regular rainwater and not polluted acid rain. Acid rain is rain that has bad chemicals (pollutants) in it. When acid rain hits the ground it can enter the water system, killing plants and animals. Click here to learn more about acid rain.

Let’s imagine that New Zealand was hit by a massive acid rain storm. Acidic rain fell for three days and three nights. When the rain fell, you stayed inside with your friends and family. When it stopped, however, you and your family decided to go for a walk outside. You opened the door and...

On your blog, write a short story about what happened when you opened the door and walked outside after the acid rain storm. To earn full points, you must write a story that is 8 – 10 sentences long.

I push and then the door open, living in the woods was a bad idea. I see all the trees leaves on the ground, will some tipped over. All the birds are not as active today they have flown away. The pond near me now has toxic through the water harming the sea life. I see all the animals that live near me have disappeared probably up to heaven. My mum comes down the stairs to say the dog was outside last night and has passed away. This storm is totally harmful to me and where I live. I fall down on my knees crying. This has been a unlucky day.



2 comments:

  1. Good afternoon AJ,

    Well done on completing the activities from week 3, day 5! You are zooming through the programme - only one week of activities left to go.

    Unfortunately, air pollution is a huge factor in climate change and the nasty gases that we create are having such a damaging impact on the future of the Earth. That's why we aren't allowed to burn rubbish or plastic as it is so bad for our environment.

    That's a great list of things to do if it is raining. What did you get for Christmas? I got the game bananagrams and love playing it when it's raining outside or when it's too outside and I am escaping the sun.

    Your short story was fantastic but devastating at the same time... That would be so sad to lose your pets and neighbourhood animals. Do you have any pets? have a dog called Tess and two cats, Oscar and Cole. I would be so sad if any of them went to heaven.

    Keep up the great posts AJ. I look forward to your response to my questions.
    Nga mihi, Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora AJ,
    Great job on week 3 day 5 activity! It is a shame that air pollution is a big problem here on earth. We are the main cause of this pollution and yet, the big governments don't do anything to stop pollution. Sure, we now have a ban on single use plastic bags at supermarkets but I don't think that is enough to stop us using plastic bags.

    Cool list! If the storm caused a power cut what would you do then? You couldn't go on any of your devices (I know, scary)!

    Your short story is a very mournful one. I had a cat (well it wasn't mine but it was my aunties and she allowed me to look after it) and his name was little man. He was my favourite, not too shy and isn't really a scratcher. He was my brothers favourite too. We would always cuddle up together and hug little man but then he started to get skinnier and wouldn't eat. We then heard that he had kidney failure and he had to be put down. My brother Lyric would not stop be asking where little man is. Super sad.

    Great job AJ!
    Taleisha

    ReplyDelete